A home’s interior says a lot about the personality of the people who live in the house. It gives visitors a glimpse of the lifestyle, traits, and preferences of the owners which is reflected in the type of furnishings used, space utilization, care in its design, and the showcase of memories that go with each item within its walls. Homemakers who decide to work on an interior design project for their own homes are embarking on a journey to express a statement about themselves and their family. These projects should be easy and stress-free in order have room for one’s creative expression. Here are some interior design elements that can be used for a family home interior design project.
- Inspiration. A lot of well acclaimed artworks were created by inspired artists. Getting inspiration for one’s interior design need not be elusive with the wide range of ideas and suggestions available today. It can be derived from home design blogs, magazines, online image collections, product catalogs and even mobile applications. Browsing over these materials can help one conceptualize and envision the interiors that they would like to have for their homes.
- Mirrors. Small spaces can be made to look bigger with the use of mirrors. This is a strategy that is often used by interior designers in rooms that do not have adequate lighting or small spaces that are fitted with a few windows only. Mirrors can add space by reflecting natural light to illuminate dark corners and show every little area in the room. It can also open up walls for small rooms by giving the illusion of an extended space created by the reflected images.
- Storage. Do away with daily clutter by placing day-to-day objects in their designated spaces. The inclusion of storage spaces in the layout of your interiors can ensure that the furnishings and decors don’t get obscured by items that are used for daily living. Going for utilitarian furnishings that doubles as storage are usually practical options for those with small living spaces. Blending these areas with other décor and furnishing in the house as well as the over-all color palettes is essential in achieving a cohesive look.
- Colors. This element can help set the tone or mood for your interiors. Generally, light colors are used to make a room look more spacious. In contrast, dark colors tend to make rooms seem smaller and create a rich or heavy effect in the room. Your color options should be based on the atmosphere that you would like to have in the room. Cool and subtle tones are ideal for rest or relaxation while bright and vibrant tones work well for high-energy rooms or activity rooms.
- Lighting. Don’t underestimate the effects of proper lighting in creating elegant or gorgeous room designs. Choosing the right bulbs and placing it in the right positions allow you to highlight areas of the room that you want to show off and draw attention away from spots that you’d rather hide. Explore the use of lamps, up or down lights, vertical lights, low wattage bulbs and dim lights and avoid fluorescent bulbs, bright lights or low hanging lights to get the best effects for your rooms.
Ultimately, it is the homeowner who decides on how to make use of these elements to create their own interior designs. The important thing is for them to come up with living spaces that are comfortable, practical, and attuned to their personal needs. Getting all these elements to work together can help achieve an impressive look that homemakers can be proud of.